Monday, May 25, 2009

Camping


Two weeks of warm weather and two sucsessful campouts(Well sort-of).

Last year was the first year Bret went on the Fathers and sons campout. He took Jace when only 18 months old, This year at 2 and half they did it again. Only this time in Montana. A little different than Louisiana. Bret called me at 10:00 last friday night telling me how cold he was. Freeeeeeeezing as he described it. Not what you do to an already worried mom. Aperently the one little sleeping bag they had was not enough for the 25 degree weather they were haveing that night. I began asking the questions. Does Jace have warm socks? Are you covering his head? Are you sure you don't just need to bring him home? I felt awful about not sending them with more blankets, and worried sick about my baby. Why has I not remembered how cold it got in the evenings up camping in the northwest. He finally admitted that although it was cold they would survive the night.

And yes they did. Me and the girls had a " Girls Night" Pop-corn and a Movie, we stayed up late (10:00). And then met them the next day around noon for some fishing. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to go camping the following weekend. I was so giddy about the idea. I forgot how much "stuff" You have to pack, It was like packing the whole house. But it proved to be worth the effort. We headed up for tin foil dinners and hotdogs, then a sleepless night in the tent smashed like sardines in Bret's 4-man tent. That was just crazy, Austin was snuggled up by me then Bret, then at the foot of the tent. Bret finally got up around 5:30 and put him in his carseat next to the fire. WHY did we not think of that at 10:00 pm. Afther the crazy nigh we had Breakfast and a day of 4-wheeling and playing in the dirt. It was so relaxing and sooooo Beautiful. Next time I will take some pictures that actually do some justice to how incredible this country is. Not too far up our 4-wheeler ride we found snow. Yes SNOW. camping next to the snow. they had opened the road and most of the campers were Skiers and snowboaders headed up to catch a few runs the next morning. Maybe I'll try it next time...
In all honesty It was wonderful and we look forward to camping becoming more of a tradition in our family!

1 comment:

cemarcano said...

How fun!! We just went our branch campout last weekend. Lily said "That was the BEST campfire in my whole life!" I think they had a good time, but give me camping up north any day! We're gearing up for a week long camping trip up to Idaho for the 4th of July stopping at KOA's on the way and ending up at our family reunion. But not before a couple of days at Lava Hot Springs! I'm excited, but anticipating a lot of work for this trip.