Monday, September 15, 2008

Back to Normal.

School starts again tomorrow. Yeah for Faith. She is so excited and so is mommy! As for the weekend, I can only count my blessings: 1) I am not living in Houston right now and 2) I am so grateful for A/C!!!!! IKE came and went. We received minimal rain but lots of wind; we could hear the wind howling on Friday night and lost power about 12:30 A.M. It was a dark night but we had candles and then Bret hooked up the generator in the morning so that we would have some electricity and could run the fridge. By about 10am, Bret thought I was going to pass out or go into labor, so he quickly setup a window A/C unit in the master bedroom and pleaded for me to lay down and rest. It was a lifesaver to say the least. I would make it a couple of hours in the kitchen and working around the house before I would need to make my way back to the bedroom. I had no idea the heat would affect me so badly. I think it is mostly due to the fact that I am 8 months pregnant. I just do not last long. The girls seemed resilient as they enjoyed the family time since Daddy didn't have to go to work. Luckily we received power back Saturday night. Bret later put his Church hat on and began making rounds and checking on members. Most of the members faired much much better than 3 years ago with Rita, but we did had a few of the members who’s homes flooded because of the tidal surge. We also had 14 Missionaries from the Texas area evacuate to Lake Charles and they ended up staying in the chapel for 2 nights. I think they are all church movied out as we had them over for dinner and they were quoting them left and right.

Sunday they finally lifted the curfew for Lake Charles and we had a 2 hour block for the members who could make it over for church. The missionaries began the meeting singing “Where can I turn for peace” very appropriate and very touching. I know life is back to normal for us but for so many others the trials have just begun. They will be in our thoughts and prayers. 2 hurricanes in 2 weeks are plenty!!! Let’s just make it another month and Hurricane season will be over.

6 comments:

The Cassel Family said...

I love your new title picture thing! So cute! Glad you are all holding up well.

Cassie

Kristen said...

Wendy,
I was glad to see your post. Hang in there. We are praying for your family and your friends.
Love ya!

The Steele family said...

Hey Wendy I just wanted to say hello your family is so cute.

Andrea said...

Hey girly, Love you new blog look!! How did you do it!! The header looks great!

Glad you guys did alright!! Bret was so nice to have the window A/C for you. Only one more month to go!! AHHHH!!!

cemarcano said...

I'm glad to hear ya'll are okay over there. I was watching the news from here and it looked like you got hit at least. My parents are still waiting for power at their house after a week. A generator has the fridge going, but that's about it. Mom was here, but finally went home today since she was anxious to start cleaning up. She said she was surprised at just how much damage was done and how torn up the yards all looked. The schools are still closed too. What a mess. I'm glad I'm here and not there.

Cottle said...

Sounds like you guys survived, just can't wait for one more month and then you will be HERE!!!!!!!!!!! OK when I say that it still doesn't completely sink in, it just gets me really really excited! Take care :)