Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Evacuation Vacation is over

Well we have successfully returned Home from our trip to Houston due to Hurricane Gustav. The kids had no Idea it was a mandatory Vacation. Better that way. We feel so blessed and reassured that so many here in the states were spared the damage and destruction that this Hurricane could have caused. For some it was not easy packing up and moving to safe ground only to realize the place they ended up was worse off than if they would have just stayed home. I guess that is what you deal with in the uncertainty of where the Hurricane is going to go.

The Johnson Family so kindly took us in. The kids could not have been happier. The Johnson's have kids around the same age and a big beautiful home; it was like going to a luxury hotel with the bonus of Toys, Toys and more Toys!! I was actually very surprised at how well the kids behaved. They seemed to all get along very well. The only downfall was that while packing up to leave I came down with a horrible stomach flu that I then passed on to Lindsay and then Allie. On the way to Church on Sunday Allie vomited in the car, what a mess. Bret was so graacius in cleaning it up so as I would not begin to hurl, we decided to let me go back home with Allie while Dad took the rest to Church. Bret was a real trooper in taking care of his sick family durring this whole ordeal.

Now we are home but school does not start until next Monday, Stores are still getting around to opening, and Bret Is checking on the members of the ward. He is also helping prepare groups to go over to Baton Rouge this weekend for clean up. They will probly send work crews over the next couple of weekends to the areas that are most hard hit. This will make Sunday attendance very small, as the members will be in Yellow Helping Hand T-shirts instead of White Shirts on Sunday. I know many friends that are looking forward to this type of Service. I think it is great too.Bret asked if I wanted to go (jokingly). What can a 7 month pregnant woman do with 4 toddlers?
I would love to join a work crew but maybe another time.

2 comments:

cemarcano said...

I'm glad to hear that you all made it out and back okay!

Kristen said...

Wendy,
I was happy to hear everything is fine. I love the slide shows. You have such a cute family!